History of Engineering
Exercise 1.Practice pronunciation of the following words and remember them. The stressed part is in bold type.
Engineering, invention, pulley, wheel, civil, mechanical, engine, discipline, electricity, industrial, revolution, vacuum, accelerate, specialized, chemical, weight, energy, torque, construction, further, development, design.
Exercise 2.Read and translate the following international words.
Mathematical, technical, principle, modern engineering, constructor, material, electric motor, experiment, positive, negative, vacuum, elements, process, computer engineer, atomic.
Exercise 3.Fill in the comparative and superlative form of each adjective and adverb as in the example.
Example: ancient - more ancient - the most ancient
8) well, good
Exercise 4.Match the terms with the definitions below:
Electric motor bridge vacuum tube invention search engine
1) service on the internet enabling users to search for items of interest.
2) a device that converts electrical energy to mechanical torque.
3) electron tube containing a cathode, anode, and, usually, one or more additional control electrodes.
4) a structure that gives a passage over a road, railway, river, etc.
5) the discovery or production of some new or improved process or machine
Try to explain one of the terms from exercise 1, 2 and ask your group mates to guess it.
Exercise 5.Match the words and expressions on the left with those on the right.
1) maintenance tools a) быстрый рост
2) military projects b) за границей
3) date back c) прибор, устройство
4) specialized machines d) строени€ невоенного назначени€
5) rapid growth e) массовое производство
6) civilian structures f) специализированный станок
7) mass production g) область, сфера
8) field h) военный проект
9) abroad i) датироватьс€
10) device j) эксплуатационный инструмент
Exercise 5.Read the text and tell what inventions were made in different fields of Engineering.